2013-2017: Senior Principal Field Applications Engineer
- First point of contact for Cisco, Meraki, Aerohive, HPe-Aruba Networks, Zebra Networks, Netgear, Ubiquiti and others to develop next generation 802.11ac wireless access points. Responsible for all hardware and regulatory issues, including certification for DFS, Adaptivity, power limits and intentional radiator regulations.
- Principal engineer involved in debugging and designing a SW fix for a Broadcom 802.11n radio inside 100K+ Dell laptops radiating a spur interfering with most all Cisco enterprise APs.
- Program manager and technical lead working with Broadcom engineering, Cisco engineering, Dell, and Accenture Financial in Ireland on Dell spur issue.
- HW team member that debugged and reduced the image spur issue with BCM43460.
- FAE and Program Manager for Ubiquiti Networks. Managed weekly teleconferences, updated and managed weekly status reports. Escalation manager as required.
1996-2010: Principal RF and Spectrum Affairs Architect
- HP technical representative to IEEE 802.11/15/18 standards committees, BT SIG, ITU-R and FCC spectrum allocation process.
- HP spectrum affairs representative on effort to gain 5GHz DFS spectrum at WRC-2003. Technical representative to HP government affairs in Washington DC and FCC, DoD, DoS, NTIA; attending ITU-R meetings in Geneva and Cannes
- Contributed to HP NPRM comments for FCC 02-264 in WT Docket 02-310
- HP voting representative to IEEE 802.11/15/18 from 2001 – 2008
- IEEE 802.11n member; Part of the core team that wrote the 802.11n PAR and 5C; part of WWise proposal group and Joint Proposal Group that produced Draft 1.0
- IEEE 802.11g member; after being deadlocked for a year I gave a presentation on the PHY rate inadequacy of both proposals. Quickly thereafter 802.11a OFDM PHY was adopted.
- IEEE 802.11s member; part of team that wrote the down selection procedure.
- Co-founded JEDEC JC-61, committee vice-chair, technical committee chair, co-authored JESD96; designed and wrote upper/lower MAC physical interface specification
- Technical representative to WiFi Alliance; co-authored ASD test plan 1.0
- HP’s Imaging and Printing Group (IPG) technical expert for Bluetooth and IEEE 802.11abgn, RF technical lead on the teams producing the first HP Bluetooth and IEEE 802.11bg enabled printers and print servers.
- Design team lead for the HP JetDirect 690n IPv6/IPSec 802.11g Wireless EIO Print Server. Holding weekly team meetings that included a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, and compliance engineer. Responsible for and implemented the antenna design, system performance, and integration testing into 47 different printers. Designed an automated test system for wireless performance integration testing in 47 printers in a 3m chamber.
- Wireless physical layer characterization and debug expert using Spectrum analyzers, Network analyzers, Oscilloscopes, Vector signal analyzers, RF signal generators, and Power meters.
- Theoretical understanding of antenna design, including PIFA, IFA, Patch, dipole, and monopole; and antenna matching circuits using network analyzers and Smith Charts.
1996-2001: Senior Electrical Engineer
Designing embedded systems, ODM/JDM hardware, and analog/digital circuits. Designing and testing power supplies. Designing and laying out high-speed PCBs. Product compliance testing and debug for EMC, ESD, EMI, and environmental standards, and quality metrics using 3m, 10m anechoic and environmental chambers. Present in Singapore and China for pilot run and manufacturing launch.
- Developing a FW state machine algorithm that allowed the first HP 10/100TX MIO print server to use the Intel LTX970 10/100TX PHY silicon rev B3, instead of having to wait for the final bug fixed version of the LTX970, thus maintaining the HP project schedule. The algorithm was eventually submitted as part of US Patent 6,198,727 on 100TX Link Assurance.
- Designed custom test equipment for testing 10/100TX auto-negotiation algorithm in Intel LXT970. Design included a custom PCB and HP Logic Analyzer. Became part of QA lab testing procedure.
2011-2012:Senior RF Hardware Engineer
- Senior member of hardware development team; and WiFi, Bluetooth and MoCA technologist
- Design, development and test of 3 STB products with MoCA RF, and IEEE 802.11n radio module
- Filter design, Sonnet EDS circuit simulation, PCB IFA antenna design
- Co-developed front-end RF filtering for the Broadcom MoCA 1.1 Core.